Thursday, April 24, 2008

Gardening underway

Since I started blogging in November, I haven’t had to balance gardening and writing until now. This week has been just perfect. In the 70s, sunny, gorgeous. All my seeds are finally coming up, after all the fretting and checking them every few hours. Perhaps you remember the Frog and Toad story where Frog starts some seeds and screams at them and jumps up and down in frustration. That was me. Then Toad comes and tells him to read them a story and sing to them, and then the seeds sprout. I have to find that book again.

Someone in town was giving away strawberry plants, so I got 10 free. I lovingly planted and watered them. One even had a flower already. Visions of organic strawberries with whipped cream danced in my head. Maybe berries with homemade yogurt. I went out the next morning and they were eaten down to the roots. So we’re putting up a chicken wire fence. Well, N is. On Sunday he says.

I’m telling you, gardening is one heartbreak after another. Sort of like parenting, really.

4 comments:

arlopop said...

If only you could wrap chickenwire around the kids.

jimmymagic said...

Your not kidding about the heartbreaks. But fotunately sometimes they can be followed by something very heartwarming. I'll let you fill in the blanks.

Baywatch said...

wait a minute. you mean blogging is writing?

Baywatch said...

Seriously. Frog and Toad ROCK.

Do you remember the one where they make these awesome cookies, then they spend the rest of the story trying to find a place to put them where they won't be able to get to them, because they have absolutely no willpower? story of my life.