So mostly out of curiosity, I applied and was accepted as an Amazon.com associate, which means that if you follow a link out of this blog and buy things on Amazon, I get a small percentage of the purchase price. Obviously you don’t pay more for your items. In the spirit of the holiday season, I will be donating any proceeds from now until Christmas to Heifer International. This charity gives animals to people to improve their quality of life. If you are vegan, you can even give the gift of trees. I also love the idea of the gift of honeybees.
So, just to get started, here are a few books I’ve enjoyed this year. Some of them are ones my book group discussed this year.
- Bel Canto by Ann Patchett (this month’s book group selection)
- The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (my favorite book of the last few years)
- A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (excellent read, also book group)
- The Sex Lives of Cannibals: Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific by J. Maarten Troost (funny!)
- The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan (thought provoking)
- Owen & Mzee: Language Of Friendship by Isabella Hatkoff (for the kids!)