Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Resources to share with your speech therapist

I'm really annoyed that, as far as I know, none of the Easter Seals Speech and Language Pathologists (SLPs) from our center went to the conference this past weekend. Our SLP did ask me to share my knowledge, so I just sent her an email with this information:

Online courses for SLPs
Overview documents
Dynamic temporal and tactile cueing for speech motor learning

Also, word pairs. For example, Nea can say "K" in the final position. So, use that to work toward initial K sound. I'm using Lightning McQueen for this, naturally. We are practicing MIC-KEEN for his last name.

Apraxic kids should be pushed to make 100 word/syllable/phrase productions per every 10 minutes of speech therapy. (!)


I'm tired of both the Easter Seals and school SLPs not knowing enough about apraxia. Techniques that work with other speech problems (articulation, stuttering, etc.) do NOT work with apraxia. Having an SLP with little training in apraxia is just as bad as not getting ST at all.

No comments: