Monday, July 28, 2008

Too many cucumbers?

Are you feeling overwhelmed by Cucurbitaceae? It's a common affliction this time of year. I’ve got two suggestions, both super easy and tasty.

#1

Peel cuke skin off. Then peel the actual cuke into long strips. Throw out the seeds. Place in a pitcher of water for several hours. Then, drink your fancy spa water! So refreshing.

#2
Fridge Pickles
7 large cukes, sliced
2 cups sugar (I use less)
2 teaspoon salt
1 cup green peppers, chopped (I use a jalapeno, instead)
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup white wine vinegar (or use red wine vinegar for pink pickles)
1 tsp celery seed

Combine, leave in fridge 3 weeks, eat.

2 comments:

Tish said...

Invite friend over in 3 weeks, share pickles, eat. ;-)

arlopop said...

Having nothing whatsoever to do with cukes (but I do so love em), but regarding your master of the obvious...

Our boy's halloween costume this year will be Captain Obvious - defeating the nefarious with mind-numbing observations.

As regards her observation about the Sith...
Many years ago while suffering through a theatrical showing of Fatal Attraction, a grown couple seated beside me talked all through the movie and seemed befuddled by it. At the point where Glenn Close, having been finally rejected by Douglas (and having shown serious need for meds for some time), begins stabbing herself in the leg with her chef's knife, the woman behind me announced in shocked horror, "Oh My God! She's Crazy!!" To which her date responded, "Oh My God! You're right!"

Obviousness is cute in younguns; not so much in adults.