Monday, May 21, 2012

Rhubarb Crisp


Rhubarb Crisp

Filling
5 cups rhubarb, chopped
¾ cup sugar

Topping
¾ cup flour
1 stick butter, at room temperature
1 tablespoon cinnamon
¾ cup oats
½ cup brown sugar
¾ cup chopped walnuts

Mix rhubarb with sugar and set aside. Let stand.

Mix flour, butter, cinnamon. Add oats, sugar, and walnuts.

In a buttered dish (10 x 10 inches or so), place the filling, then the topping. Bake at 375 for 45-60 minutes.

Serve warm with vanilla ice cream on the side.

---

I made this for Mother's Day for my parents. Everyone liked it a lot. The kids had seconds. I like rhubarb because it's so seasonal, easy to grow, and hard to find in stores. At least around here. And it tends to be expensive, so growing it seems smart.

And I know it's too late for Mother's Day, but here are three things I learned from my mom:
  • Always go to places early (zoo, grocery store, whatever. It applies everywhere.) before the crowds show up.
  • Wool is warmer than fleece.
  • Keep some candy in your purse for emergencies.

No comments: