It was also a nice list to see things we’ve made progress on:
- Manages safety belt independently in vehicles
- Can receive and make phone calls (to her dad at work)
- Knows the difference between putting out paper fires from grease fires
- Cleans up broken glass safely
DRESSING SKILLS QUESTIONS
- Puts on and fastens a button up shirt – We don’t do a lot of buttony clothing, but we should make sure she can do a button.
- Puts on and fastens tie shoes – Forget it. When she’s older.
- Washes, rinses, and dries hands well – Key word being “well” – a comment that applies to this whole section
- Completes nose care well (blows nose)
- Brushes hair and manages tangles
- Brushes teeth well
- Flosses teeth well – OK, who am I kidding. Should work on.
- Obtains soap and hygiene products for bath/shower
- Uses a knife to spread foods (butter)
- Uses a knife to cut foods
OTHER FUNCTIONAL MOBILITY
PERSONAL CARE DEVICES
- Those sections she is age-appropriate on, or don’t apply
- Identifies the value of coins and bills – working on
- Makes a simple purchase from a store or vending machine using cash with assistance
- Prepares a cold snack (chips, fruit) or meal (cereal, sandwich) independently – Sounds like a really great idea!
- Can dial 911 in case of an emergency – We’ve spent so much time on learning our phone number that I’m not sure whether she can do this. Need to check.
- Follows safety rules when talking with strangers – working on
- Has stranger awareness when asked to leave a location with an unfamiliar person – working on
- Follows fire safety rules and knows family fire safety plan – should work on
- Uses a key to unlock doors to enter house – should work on
- Follows basic road safety skills (crosses street safely) – working on
- Brings all necessary materials to school (homework, lunch, permission slips) – This section I’m willing to take the blame on. I’ve been taking papers out of her backpack and putting them back in. I need to stop enabling. It’s her responsibility.
- Brings all necessary supplies home to complete homework assignments or projects
- Completes homework and returns it on time