Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Democracy



I enjoy voting. I believe I've voted in every election since I turned 18. Maybe missed the occasional primary. I know I missed the one for Illinois governor when it was between Blago, Vallas, and Burris, because I didn't like any of them. 


I only voted early once, four years ago, and it took much longer than it does at my usual place, where I’m in-and-out in ten minutes. I like being part of the process on the official day, anyway. I like wearing my sticker and being a good example for my kids. Today I was the 454th voter, at 11:30 a.m. Sounds like a good turnout.

However, I am annoyed that my polling place is in a church. My last place (same house, different polling place) was also a church. That one was of the Giant Wooden Cross on the lawn type. The current one is the Big White Pillars in front type.  Either way, annoying. Separation of church and state, anyone? I know they don’t generally get paid for the inconvenience, and there "aren't enough public locations" otherwise, or whatever, blah blah blah. But it’s crap, and I don’t like it.

Back in the olden days, I voted in an elementary school, across the street from my condo. It was great: leave the house, vote, get into car, drive to work. Then they moved it to the middle school 2 blocks away. Grumble.

One of my friends in Chicago voted in a car dealership several times. I think that’s hysterical. Plenty of room, not particularly crowded on a Tuesday. Works great. No, I'm not sure whether it was for an American company.

So. Here’s hoping the disenfranchisement, ballot fraud (Really, Ohio. I hope someone goes to jail for that.), and other assorted bullshit don’t make this country an embarrassment. Because despite the electoral college, voting is still my favorite civic duty.

No comments: