Monday, February 6, 2012

Ugh. Book club.

Unwind by Neal Shusterman. Lord, I hated this book. Not only does it remind me of Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, which I hated, but I just finished The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta, which also reminds me of Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk (aka Fight Club's author).


I'm over this genre. Which genre, you might ask? I don't even know what to call it. It's sci fi, with cold characters, religious cults, and general bullshit.

Edited to add: I just realized how nicely the recent controversy regarding denying transplants to children with developmental delays fits in with these books. Why make up this shit when the real shit is just as bad?



3 comments:

Mistress La Spliffe said...

"Never Let Me Go" is easily my least favourite Ishiguro, but what turned you off it so bad?

Bluestem said...

Note: I read the book two years ago, so … this is what I remember. I found the characters unappealing and stilted. I didn't care for the writing style. But what really killed it for me was the "climatic" ending, which was so bad that it's still a running book club joke. "Shall I go on?!"

Mistress La Spliffe said...

Mmmmyeah. Ishiguro has a thing for stings in the tails and in that book I think it was his most poorly done. His novels don't usually feel gimmicky, but this one did, somehow. I think he meant for the characters to not be very engaging, so it may have been a success for him as a writer, but I didn't really enjoy my time as its reader.