Wednesday, March 4, 2009

King Corn and Queen Other Veggies

If you’ve read Omnivore’s Dilemma and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and enjoyed them, you’re just the audience for King Corn. Not only an enjoyable documentary about two Boston boys who decide to grow an acre of corn in Iowa, but also a quirky little movie. I like quirky. But the extras really make the movie shine. Watch all of them – each a gem.

Speaking of growing stuff, I bought seeds and then my auntie sent me seeds and I have seeds from years past and OH MY GOD I think I’ll be growing stuff in the middle of the lawn this year. I’m thinking a nice bean tunnel for the kids to play in. Wouldn’t that be fun? A 9 foot long trellis tunnel with bean plants covering it? In the middle of the yard?

And also, I’m going to mend my harvesting ways this year. No more throwing whole tomatoes into ziplock bags and freezing them. Well, I’ll still do that, but less of it. I want to make my yummy tomato soup, salsa, and plain ole diced tomatoes and freeze jars that way. It’s easy to say that now, of course.

Anyway. Soon it’ll be time to plant the cannas and elephant ears in pots in the basement. Haul out the seed starting stuff, and then take out paper and pen and figure out what goes where. Oh happy day! And to live where there are seasons!

No comments: