Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Literacy!



In Real Book Club news, recent picks were: 
  • The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
  • Machine of Death edited by Ryan North, Matthew Bennardo, and David Malki
  • The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian by Sherman Alexie
  • Loving Frank by Nancy Horan
  • Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
  • Divergent by Veronica Roth
  • Lean In: Women Work & the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg
  • Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Of those, I recommend Gone Girl the most, although it did make several people totally crazy, which I also understand. It’s got a plot that won’t let you go, though. No denying that.

Next month we’ll discuss The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson. I've already read it, which is good, because I've got a huge pile of other books to wade through.

For my Work Book Club we attempted The Righteous Mind: Why Good People are Divided by Politics and Religion by Jonathan Haidt. Because everyone knows that discussing politics and religion at work is a good idea! But it worked out fine, in that I don’t think anyone finished it. It was very dry. I’ll try to finish it sometime, maybe. 

We also discussed Lean In, so that was a win for me, since I discussed it with both groups. 

No comments: