Monday, October 17, 2011

Ugly Christmas Ornament Party: A Retrospective

A long time ago, we used to be fun. That was before we had kids. Back in those idyllic days, we would host amusing parties. I would say the most popular themed party we had was the Ugly Christmas Ornament Party. Which was a nice break from all the serious holiday parties. It started out fairly casual and became pretty competitive by the end, with rules and stuff. Actually, a lot of my parties seem to have rules. It's because I'm German. I can't help it.

The rules were:


  • One entry per person.
  • Enter into one of the categories: store-bought or homemade/altered.
  • One vote per person. Yadda yadda, can't quite remember all the voting rules for having two categories.
  • You must be willing to give up your entry. Everyone will go home with a different ornament.
  • The winning ornament stays with us.

Luckily we are organized (snort!) and have all the winners still carefully stored all together in a box. I present them to you for your enjoyment.




1998 Red D*ldo -- Joanne Harrison




1999 Paschke -- Perrigo family





2000 Santabird -- Darin and Olga





2001 It Just Screams Christmas -- N





2002 Holiday Time in Afghanistan -- Tish





2003 Cowpie Snowman -- Kris Ward






And this little bonus item that was robbed of winning. I think John brought it the first year we had the party. His grandma made it or something. I'm pretty sure I voted for it. It's top-notch.

And this. This monstrosity.

This started it all. N and I found it in an antique store in Hebron, IL. It was $7. I took off the little plaques N made with the winners' names on them. And ain't she a beaut.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I still think I was robbed.

-a