Friday, October 23, 2009

Wow, it really is Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day!

As usual, it's the library's fault. It's the library's fault that my house is unorganized. It's the library's fault I don't greet my husband at the door with a pitcher of martinis, or whatever it is I'm supposed to be doing these days. Because the library feeds my reading addiction. Of all the nerve.

So, a few months ago I checked out a copy of Mother Earth News (I've blogged about just that activity before). That issue had a review of this book Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois. I put the book on hold at the library, as I was intrigued. I used the Internet to perform the hold, as I am slothful and enjoy reserving books from the comfort of my unorganized home.

Yesterday I made the basic bread recipe. Today, I ate the first slices. Alone. With Nutella. Several of them, to be honest. I immediately decided that perhaps you, my adoring reader, had heard of this book but had not yet taken the time to investigate further. Well. Let's just say that the library copy will not do. I will be purchasing a copy. I gleefully look forward to the light whole wheat, oatmeal, and sunflower seed breakfast bread. And the pizza dough. And others.





It's super easy and tastes just like the fancy bread from the store. The expensive stuff. Crispy exterior, chewy yet light interior. I mean, look at the cute things. Are they not adorable? Do you not want to just EAT THEM UP. With very little effort you make enough dough for 4 small loaves, which you can make at any point in the next two weeks. Like you're really going to wait 14 days. Sure.

You know, I'm sick. I probably shouldn't share this bread with the rest of the family. That seems foolhardy, doesn't it? No need to risk further spreading illness.


Remember, buy through my blog to help support Heifer International! Thank you!

4 comments:

Jill said...

Our library system has 33 copies. I'm now number 89 on the reserve list! All from the comfort of my unorganized home!

The Carb Queen said...

It might be nice to share the bread with your neighbor.

Kate said...

Ah, I was afraid it might really work. There is no hope for me.

Jake Dillon said...

You know, several of my friends swear by this book and the -o-so-life-changing-method thenin.

I, unfortuately, have a wheat free kid, so delicious home baked loaves seems like child abuse. But, I do on occasion get gifts and they are indeed delicious...and adorable.

One friend sells them. $5 a piece! Its a thought.

OX